How to Write a Date with Commas Correctly?
When it comes to the American format of writing dates, it is important to use commas in dates, separating the date from the year as well as the weekday from the month with commas: Wednesday, June 15, 1995.
Even though this is considered to be the most common format with regard to dates, there are certain exceptions. In the following paragraphs, you will be able to get closer to this issue.
In what way should you write a date that consists of the month and the year? What is the correct way of writing a date only with the month and the year?
It is worth mentioning that, when it comes to dealing with a date that contains the month and the year, there is no need for placing any commas there:
- Correct: I cooked my first cake in August 1992.
- Incorrect: I cooked my first cake in July, 1992.
What should we pay our attention to when we are supposed to write a date that contains the year, month, and date precisely?
0 Preparing Orders
0 Active Writers
0% Positive Feedback
0 Support Agents
In this case, it is of great importance to remember to use commas after dates. However, there is no need to use them after months.
- Correct: I realized I fell in love on April 12, 1993.
- Incorrect: I realized I fell in love on April 12 1993.
- Incorrect: I realized I fell in love on April, 12, 1993.
What is the correct and precise way of putting commas in those dates that include the year, weekday, and date?
When writing such type of a date, make sure that you follow the rule that was mentioned above, adding a comma between the weekday and the date:
- Correct: She bought her first car on Saturday, August 2, 1993.
- Incorrect: She bought her first car on Saturday August 2, 1993.
Is it necessary to use a comma after a date at the end of a sentence?
Hurry up! Limited time offer
Use discount code
Although people get confused when they have to deal with using commas, you don’t need to put it after a date at the end of a sentence.
- Correct: Josephina gave birth to her first child in September 1992.
- Incorrect: Josephina gave birth to her first child in September 1992,.
Related Blog Posts from category "Writing Help"